How Do I

Frequently Asked Questions
What are City Hall's office hours?
7:30 A.M - 4:30 P.M. Monday - Friday
What is the recycling pick up schedule?
Recycling is picked up the same day as your garbage
Do I need a permit for a recreational fire?
No, a permit is not needed but they are regulated as follows:
All such fires must use only untreated, unprocessed, unmilled wood, charcoal, propane, or natural gas as fuel.  Must be within a non-combustible barrier or defined fire ring designated for the purpose of containing a recreational fire not to exceed 40 inches in diameter and shall be no closer than 10 feet from any structure.

Minimum fine for non-compliance with the above is not less than $200 for the first offense and $500 for the second and subsequent offenses.
Are there restrictions on pets allowed in the city?
Yes, Estherville's City Code contains a list of dangerous animals that are not allowed inside the city limits. This list includes pit bull dogs and venomous, poisonous or constricting snakes. Contact City Hall to obtain a copy of these regulations.
Do we have to keep our pet on a leash?
Yes, animals must be restrained with a leash, cord, chain or similar device. Animals running at large may be impounded. Costs will be assessed to the owner.
Is a permit required for electrical installations?
Yes, the State of Iowa requires most electrical connections or reconnections to be performed by a licensed electrician and inspected by a state electrical inspector. The information you or your contractor needs can be found at www.iowaelectrical.gov or by calling 1-866-923-1082.  Please allow extra time for scheduling, inspections, and releases. Electrical Service Release forms must be signed by a State Electrical Inspector.
May I burn garbage?
No, container burning is not allowed. The burning of landscape waste is allowed on large lots only within certain guidelines. Please contact city offices for a complete explanation.
We are a 3 car family. May we park in the street?
Yes, although a vehicle may not be parked on the city street for a period in excess of 18 hours. During a snow removal period no vehicle may be parked on any street.
Who do I contact to rent a park shelter?
Contact the Parks & Recreation office at 712-362-3575
Is the city zoned?
Yes, the use of land in the various areas of the city is regulated. Our Community Development Director can answer any questions you may have about our zoning ordinance.
Is a permit required for new construction?
A permit may be required depending on the type of construction.  Please contact the city offices prior to construction, excavation or demolition.  In addition to our city utilities, the gas company, cable TV, and telephone company have buried services.  Prior to any excavation you should contact Iowa One Call at (800) 292-8989 to have these underground services located.