Estherville Municipal Electric operates a 7.2 / 12.5 kV system with approximately 3,200 meters.
21 North 1st Street
Estherville, IA 51334
The Estherville Power Plant was established in 1894 and a Steam Engine was installed. In 1915 the plant was converted to a Diesel Engine Plant. Since then, 14 different engines have been installed in the plant. Engines were replaced with larger ones as the town’s usage grew. The last 6 engines purchased are still in the plant with 5 of them operational.
Our engines consist of a 1946 Nordberg 6 cylinder at 2400 HP; 2 - 1960 Cooper Besser V-16 at 4710 HP and our newest are 2 Enterprise V-16 at 5574 HP.
These generators provided electric power to the city until about the middle 1970’s when an agreement was made to purchase power. The plant is now maintained for backup power and generates when incoming power is interrupted due to storms, etc.Employees
Dale Bradley, Foreman
Cory Fisher, Operator